It’s easy to stick some chicken breasts in the oven and top ‘em with some spices. However, this week I did something new (to me) and thought it was strange.
I have never been a fan of handling raw meat. (Anyone else immature enough to giggle at ‘raw meat?’) It grosses me out. It feels all slimy and squishy–not cool.
So, ground meat is just weird. —yuck— Especially when you have to mix it around with your bare hands and it’s squishing through your fingers. (I could vomit just typing this..)
Anywho–I decided to make my own ground chicken breasts! In the grocery store, this stuff is usually quite expensive. It is always upwards of $3 a pound (and that’s the cheapest I have seen it–Love ya, Sprouts!)
BUT, if you make it yourself, if can be as low as $1.80 a pound. Deal? YES!
Before I continue, head over to see the QUEEN of Strange but Good::: Laura!
Back to how I don’t like raw chicken (or any meat for that matter)–I put the chicken breasts in my food processor to make ground chicken breasts! Why haven’t I done this before? It was so easy and was able to add tons of flavor with herbs and veggies.
Here’s what I did and what you SHOULD do!
Chicken Breast Patties
-2 chicken breasts (mine were medium sized)
-3 T egg whites
-2 green onions, chopped
-1-2 T cilantro, chopped
-half serrano pepper, deseeded & chopped
-1 T chives
-1/2 cup grated carrot
-salt and pepper
- Chop green onions, cilantro, serrano, chives and grate carrot. Set aside.
- Roughly chop chicken.
- Put chicken and egg whites in food processor. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper.
- Process until a paste is made–should be ground up.
- Add in herbs and veggies. Pulse until mixed.
- Put meat mixture into a covered bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (mine was in for 8 hours).
- Form 8 patties with chicken.
- Cook in a pan, under a medium broiler, or on the BBQ. Flip a few times until golden brown and cooked thoroughly.
- Enjoy! – Serve as sliders, on top of a salad–or however you choose!