I was lying in bed on Monday night.. and had a vision. A vision of cheesy oatmeal goodness with a runny egg full of #yolkporn.
So, Tuesday morning I wake up and the recipe pulls itself together.
I have only ever made sweet oatmeal, so making a SAVORY was almost out of my league.
I went with the flow…and was delighted!!
Adding vegetables to oatmeal? STRANGE.
Adding salt and pepper to oatmeal? STRANGE.
Adding nutritional yeast to oatmeal? STRANGE.
Putting an egg on top of oatmeal? STRANGE.
All of this together? GOOD!
Head over to Sprint2theTable to check out what Laura has cooked up this week.. She never disappoints!
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- leftover coleslaw cabbage & broccoli (any veggies would work)
- 1 T nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 egg
- Start boiling oatmeal. (I used slightly less than a half of a cup because I was adding in so many extras).
- Sprinkle in salt and pepper to add flavor to the oats.
- Once oats have started to plump, stir in veggies.
- Once cabbage has wilted & warmed, stir in nutritional yeast.
- Stream in egg whites while stirring to prevent clumps.
- Meanwhile, cook egg sunnyside up (or personal choice)..
- Oats done? Serve ’em up with egg on top.
- EAT: you will not be disappointed!!
A few memories of this cheezy, yolky goodness…
Seriously people.. if anyone is out there, get to it! The oatmeal was satisfying and kept me full until lunch with the healthy fat, fiber, and protein. Enjoy!
Question: Have you ever made SAVORY oatmeal?
I was a savory oat virgin until this recipe! I am sad I waited so long to try them..